Geeta M. Baliga

I am Geeta Baliga born in Chennai and grew up in Calicut, Kerala.


I got married at the age of 21 to Mohan Baliga and moved to Hubli. I have 2 daughters and a son.


I was an entrepreneur and ran a very successful pre-school called Rose Bud in Hubli for 35 years. All my children are settled in North America. I have 5 grand children.We are now settled in the US to stay closer to our children.


Konkani cuisine is known for great fish curries and other seasonal delicacies like "Kadgi Chako" and "Keerla Sukhe".


We constantly had family visiting us for whom I helped cook barrels of curries, chakkulis and ubbatis, phenories, shevai, thile undo, halvas, etc. I had friends from various parts of India - Punjabi, Maharasthrian, Savji and Lingayat (Hubli locals) from whom I learnt to make other types of cuisines. Over time my reputation grew as a good cook in the family and circle of friends, particularly for seafood.


I update this blog as and when I prepare the dishes. If you find these recipes interesting please leave your comments in comment box below each recipe. and also add to my followers group . This will encourage me to continue with my efforts !


All the recipes are listed in alphabetical order on the right hand side and sorted by labels on the left side

Friday, May 6, 2011

Pathravado | Konkani

Ingredients and Directions:
14 medium size arvi leaves (7 leaves in each roll), remove stems and clean
Soak the following for 6 to 7 hours or previous night:
        1/2 cup thuvar dhal
        1/4 cup rice
1 tbsp chili powder
1 small marble size lump tamarind
Salt to taste
1 & 1/2 tspn asafoetida powder
1/2 cup coconut gratings
Grind all together to a smooth paste


Take a wooden board or a flat plate. Place the biggest arvi leaf with inner surface (light green side) facing up and stalk towards you. Smear the surface of the leaf with some prepared masala (about 1 1/2 tbsp) evenly. Place another leaf over this and repeat the process  of evenly spreading the masala over each leaf. With  7 masala coated leaves, make one roll. Repeat the process for the second set of leaves.



Fold in the edges about  2" firmly on both sides and roll it from the stalk end to the tip. If u want it to look neat and clean tie it with a thin thread (optional).

Steam it in the idli steamer or in the cooker without the whistle weight   till it is cooked . To check whether it is cooked prick it with tip of the spoon .  If it is not sticky it is done




When done  slice it like a loaf of bread and serve it with little  coconut  oil sprinkled and spread over it evenly.
Relish as a side dish with rice and dhal


If  there are left over pieces , You can shallow fry them .
OR

Chop the pathravoda in to small cubes.
Heat little oil in a pan add chopped onion and fry till brown .
Add the pathravado  cubes and stir for a while  and make usal (upkari)


If the masala remains and if it is thin , add some besin, chopped onion, chopped cabbage OR chopped palak to the masala, make small round flattened balls and deep fry as vadas.

4 comments:

  1. It was excellent. Lucky that I get to eat all the good food made for this blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. vinod loves this amchi dish. They make it the way you have written about. Moms side makes it the same way but instead of half a cup tuvar dal they use moong whole which is also very tasty.all the rest of the ingredients remain the same. I use srouted moong to make it healthier. enjoying your blog very much
    rekha pai

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Rekha Pai , we do it with whole Moong also . In both ways it tastes very good . pple make stuffs with diff recipes! which ever is my favorite i post them in my blog here .

    ReplyDelete