Geeta M. Baliga

I am Geeta Baliga born in Chennai and grew up in Calicut, Kerala.


I got married at the age of 21 to Mohan Baliga and moved to Hubli. I have 2 daughters and a son.


I was an entrepreneur and ran a very successful pre-school called Rose Bud in Hubli for 35 years. All my children are settled in North America. I have 5 grand children.We are now settled in the US to stay closer to our children.


Konkani cuisine is known for great fish curries and other seasonal delicacies like "Kadgi Chako" and "Keerla Sukhe".


We constantly had family visiting us for whom I helped cook barrels of curries, chakkulis and ubbatis, phenories, shevai, thile undo, halvas, etc. I had friends from various parts of India - Punjabi, Maharasthrian, Savji and Lingayat (Hubli locals) from whom I learnt to make other types of cuisines. Over time my reputation grew as a good cook in the family and circle of friends, particularly for seafood.


I update this blog as and when I prepare the dishes. If you find these recipes interesting please leave your comments in comment box below each recipe. and also add to my followers group . This will encourage me to continue with my efforts !


All the recipes are listed in alphabetical order on the right hand side and sorted by labels on the left side

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Roasted Eggplant - Baigan Ka Bharta

Ingredients and directions:
1 big black eggplant (brinjal)
1 tomato
3 to 4 slit green chilies
2 onions chopped lengthwise
1 tbsp. garlic paste
1/2 tbsp. ginger/garlic paste
  Or 5 cloves garlic and 1" ginger mashed
1/4 cup coriander leaves  chopped
1/4 cup green peas boiled with salt to taste
2 to 3 tsp. garam masala
1 tbsp. coriander powder
1 tsp. cumin powder
1 tsp. turmeric powder
3 to 4 tbsp. oil
Brush the eggplant with little oil on all sides
Roast it on the medium flame on the gas stove
Turn frequently on all sides till it is roasted in to black color
When done remove from fire, cool it under the running water and peel the skin when cooled.
Mash the flesh.
Heat oil in a kadai splutter cumin seeds then add slit green chilies.
Add the garlic ginger paste.
Stir till the odor goes off .
Add the onion and sauté till it becomes translucent
Add chopped tomatoes and fry till it is mushy
Add all the powders and stir for a while
Add mashed flesh of the eggplant and cooked peas
Add the chopped coriander leaves and mix well.
Add salt to taste.
Add little water and close it with a lid on a low fire .
When it becomes dry remove from gas and garnish with coriander leaves.
Serve with garam roties.

2 comments:

  1. i enjoyed cooking some of your recepies geeta.They are yummy and tasty.Thannnnnnnks for sharing your mangolorian dishes.Nirmala.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i enjoyed cooking some of your recepies geeta.They are yummy and tasty.Thannnnnnnks for sharing your mangolorian dishes.Nirmala.

    ReplyDelete