Geeta M. Baliga

I am Geeta Baliga born in Chennai and grew up in Calicut, Kerala.


I got married at the age of 21 to Mohan Baliga and moved to Hubli. I have 2 daughters and a son.


I was an entrepreneur and ran a very successful pre-school called Rose Bud in Hubli for 35 years. All my children are settled in North America. I have 5 grand children.We are now settled in the US to stay closer to our children.


Konkani cuisine is known for great fish curries and other seasonal delicacies like "Kadgi Chako" and "Keerla Sukhe".


We constantly had family visiting us for whom I helped cook barrels of curries, chakkulis and ubbatis, phenories, shevai, thile undo, halvas, etc. I had friends from various parts of India - Punjabi, Maharasthrian, Savji and Lingayat (Hubli locals) from whom I learnt to make other types of cuisines. Over time my reputation grew as a good cook in the family and circle of friends, particularly for seafood.


I update this blog as and when I prepare the dishes. If you find these recipes interesting please leave your comments in comment box below each recipe. and also add to my followers group . This will encourage me to continue with my efforts !


All the recipes are listed in alphabetical order on the right hand side and sorted by labels on the left side

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Chicken Biriyani

'Method
1 pound chicken with bones .
clean and wash thoroughly applying turmeric powder
4  cups basmati rice( long grain )
 wash 4 to 5 times . Add 1:1/2 cup of water
 ie for 4 cups rice add 6 cups of water
Add 2 , 3 tbspn oil , bay leaves, 2 tspn salt and cook on the fire closing the vessel with a lid.
When water evaporates remove from the stove.
Masala - 2 large onions + two large tomatoes cut in to big pieces
In a kadai heat1 tbspn oil
  add 8 cloves , 2 " cinnamon
4 cardomoms
fry the onion tomatoes along with  these   spices for a while
Grind this in to paste adding one bunch of clean coriander leaves, 1 " ginger and chilly powder to your taste (2 to 3 tbspn)
Salt to taste
Add this maala to the chicken pieces and cook  till the chicken is done and the masala thickens

 In a flat bottom kadai add 3 tbsns of oil and 3 tbspns  ghee.
Cut 2 onions length wise and add to the hot oil ,fry till the onion becomes dark brown.
Keep 3/4 of this aside.
Add one layer of masala chicken over the one layer of fried onion
Then add one layer of rice and one layer of fried onion.
Alternately pour  little kesar milk over this(optional)
Close the vessel tightly with a lid and keep it on the low flame  for 10 minutes
 then  turn off the gas.
 While serving mix this biryani thoroughly . Relish with onion raita.



2 comments:

  1. WOW!
    YOU HAVE A SUPERB SITE/BLOG.
    Shared the same with my daughter-in law.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank u very much !
    May I know who u are please ?

    ReplyDelete