Geeta M. Baliga

I am Geeta Baliga born in Chennai and grew up in Calicut, Kerala.


I got married at the age of 21 to Mohan Baliga and moved to Hubli. I have 2 daughters and a son.


I was an entrepreneur and ran a very successful pre-school called Rose Bud in Hubli for 35 years. All my children are settled in North America. I have 5 grand children.We are now settled in the US to stay closer to our children.


Konkani cuisine is known for great fish curries and other seasonal delicacies like "Kadgi Chako" and "Keerla Sukhe".


We constantly had family visiting us for whom I helped cook barrels of curries, chakkulis and ubbatis, phenories, shevai, thile undo, halvas, etc. I had friends from various parts of India - Punjabi, Maharasthrian, Savji and Lingayat (Hubli locals) from whom I learnt to make other types of cuisines. Over time my reputation grew as a good cook in the family and circle of friends, particularly for seafood.


I update this blog as and when I prepare the dishes. If you find these recipes interesting please leave your comments in comment box below each recipe. and also add to my followers group . This will encourage me to continue with my efforts !


All the recipes are listed in alphabetical order on the right hand side and sorted by labels on the left side

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Bhel and Pani Puri


BHEL PURI:

Khatta meetha theeka chutney:

3 tbspn coriander seeds
1 tbspn cuminseeds
8 green chillies (according to your spice taste )
1 small cup  seedless dry dates (if  dates are not available jaggery powder can be used)
2 tbspn black salt powder or chat masala powder
Few strands of coriander leaves
Few mint leaves
2 tbspn tamarind pulp
Grind together in to smooth paste adding  little water.

In a plate pour 1 cup puffed rice
1 fist full chopped onion
1 tabspn chopped coriander leaves
2 to 3 tbspn(according to ur taste ) khattameetateekha chutney
1/4 cup crispy sev
Mix all these ingredients, serve with crushed papdies or(crushed puries ) and thin sev, garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves.

Khatta/Meetha/Teekha Chutney

PANI PURI:

Use the  Khattameethateekha chutney.
Add 4  to 5 glasses of water to this above chutney to make it pani puri water
Add 1/2 packet of  panipuri masala powder, chopped coriander leaves  and mix it thoroughly .
Boil potatoes, peel them and chop in to tiny pieces . You can also use half cooked moong with little haldi powder or half cooked white vatana instead of potatoes.
Make small holes in the middle of puris , fill it with potatoes or cooked mung or vatanas
Pour pani puri water and relish it !



2 comments:

  1. This is my alltime favorite food..Bombay street food...no wonder my mom craved it when she was expecting me...love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Making this today... your way. Anita

    ReplyDelete