Geeta M. Baliga

I am Geeta Baliga born in Chennai and grew up in Calicut, Kerala.


I got married at the age of 21 to Mohan Baliga and moved to Hubli. I have 2 daughters and a son.


I was an entrepreneur and ran a very successful pre-school called Rose Bud in Hubli for 35 years. All my children are settled in North America. I have 5 grand children.We are now settled in the US to stay closer to our children.


Konkani cuisine is known for great fish curries and other seasonal delicacies like "Kadgi Chako" and "Keerla Sukhe".


We constantly had family visiting us for whom I helped cook barrels of curries, chakkulis and ubbatis, phenories, shevai, thile undo, halvas, etc. I had friends from various parts of India - Punjabi, Maharasthrian, Savji and Lingayat (Hubli locals) from whom I learnt to make other types of cuisines. Over time my reputation grew as a good cook in the family and circle of friends, particularly for seafood.


I update this blog as and when I prepare the dishes. If you find these recipes interesting please leave your comments in comment box below each recipe. and also add to my followers group . This will encourage me to continue with my efforts !


All the recipes are listed in alphabetical order on the right hand side and sorted by labels on the left side

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Crab Curry | Konkani

Ingredients:
Medium size crabs - 6, if they r too big cut it into half
One half of full big coconut - grated
Green chillies - 6, slit
Red chilli powder - 2-3 tbsps
Tamarind - a small ball
Ginger - 2" piece, finely chopped
Turmeric powder - a pinch
For seasoning:
Oil - 2 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Curry leaves - 5-6
or
Onion - 1 medium sized, chopped
crab curry

Method:

1. Grind coconut with tamarind and red chilli powder in to smooth paste. Keep aside.
2. Wash the crabs 4 to 5 times. Remove the yellow stuffs from its shell while washing.
3. Cook crabs adding little water with chopped onions, chopped ginger, slit green chillies and salt.
4. Add the masala paste and simmer. Don't add too much water to avoid becoming too much watery.
5. Then season with mustard seeds and curry leaves or season it with chopped onion. That's all.

4 comments:

  1. kudos to your efforts...crab curry is such a rare recipe to find even in the advanced age of internet... thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Came across your site when browsing for sungata phanna upkari. This is a wonderful blog. Thanks a lot Mayi for your hardwork, people like me can benefit :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank u very much fr ur wonderful compliments ! i am elated ! Very rarely pple appreciate like u , some take the advantage of using my recipes but never bother to mention a word of appreciation !

      Delete
  3. Thank you for the delicious recipie. I seasoned it with coconut oil so turned out great. Looking forward to trying out your Shrimp red curry!

    ReplyDelete