Geeta M. Baliga

I am Geeta Baliga born in Chennai and grew up in Calicut, Kerala.


I got married at the age of 21 to Mohan Baliga and moved to Hubli. I have 2 daughters and a son.


I was an entrepreneur and ran a very successful pre-school called Rose Bud in Hubli for 35 years. All my children are settled in North America. I have 5 grand children.We are now settled in the US to stay closer to our children.


Konkani cuisine is known for great fish curries and other seasonal delicacies like "Kadgi Chako" and "Keerla Sukhe".


We constantly had family visiting us for whom I helped cook barrels of curries, chakkulis and ubbatis, phenories, shevai, thile undo, halvas, etc. I had friends from various parts of India - Punjabi, Maharasthrian, Savji and Lingayat (Hubli locals) from whom I learnt to make other types of cuisines. Over time my reputation grew as a good cook in the family and circle of friends, particularly for seafood.


I update this blog as and when I prepare the dishes. If you find these recipes interesting please leave your comments in comment box below each recipe. and also add to my followers group . This will encourage me to continue with my efforts !


All the recipes are listed in alphabetical order on the right hand side and sorted by labels on the left side

Monday, April 18, 2011

Mutton Biryani


Ingredients and Method:

2 pounds mutton, wash 4 to 5 times and keep aside.
3 small cups Basumati rice wash and cook with 5 cups of water, adding few bay leaves and salt to taste, 3 tbspn oil.
Rice should be cooked 85% and should  not  be over cooked. Do not drain water from the rice .
Spread the cooked rice in a big thali and keepaside.

Chop 1 big onion length wise and fry it in some oil till it is brownish black in color and keep aside.
Keep aside finely chopped coriander leaves.

                  
Masala:

2 onions chopped in to big pieces.
2 smalltomatoes chopped.
3 strings of coriander leaves.
3 tbspn chillipowder (more or less according to your taste)
OR in place of chillipowder 8 to 10 green chillies can be added (the biriyani will look green if green chillies are used)
3 small cardamom
8 cloves
1" cinnamon
1" ginger
Few mint leaves
Grind the ingredients to a smooth paste adding little water to blend it .
                  
Mix the the above  masala (optional - you can add 2 tbspn Shan masala powder) with  the mutton and cook in the cooker with  few whistles till it is done .
If water remains in the cooked mutton keep on the fire stirring it till it becomes dry masala.
Add salt to taste before u dry the masala .
Heat 5 to 8 tbspn oil + 2 tbspn ghee in a thick flat  bottom pan.
Add one layer of cooked rice and above this one layer of  masala mutton alternately.
In between  the layers spread some chopped coriander leaves  and  fried  onions.
Top layer should be garnished with fried onion .
Keep this on medium gas for  3 to 4 minutes.

If u want the biriyani colorful ,soak 1 tspn kesar in 1/2 cup milk   for some time  and sprinkle over the top layer and in between the layers .

The picture of my biriyani is not impressive as I have not added kesar or color.

3 comments:

  1. I tried this recipe n it was yummy. Thax for de recipe !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I eat it and it was yummy! :)

    ReplyDelete