Geeta M. Baliga

I am Geeta Baliga born in Chennai and grew up in Calicut, Kerala.


I got married at the age of 21 to Mohan Baliga and moved to Hubli. I have 2 daughters and a son.


I was an entrepreneur and ran a very successful pre-school called Rose Bud in Hubli for 35 years. All my children are settled in North America. I have 5 grand children.We are now settled in the US to stay closer to our children.


Konkani cuisine is known for great fish curries and other seasonal delicacies like "Kadgi Chako" and "Keerla Sukhe".


We constantly had family visiting us for whom I helped cook barrels of curries, chakkulis and ubbatis, phenories, shevai, thile undo, halvas, etc. I had friends from various parts of India - Punjabi, Maharasthrian, Savji and Lingayat (Hubli locals) from whom I learnt to make other types of cuisines. Over time my reputation grew as a good cook in the family and circle of friends, particularly for seafood.


I update this blog as and when I prepare the dishes. If you find these recipes interesting please leave your comments in comment box below each recipe. and also add to my followers group . This will encourage me to continue with my efforts !


All the recipes are listed in alphabetical order on the right hand side and sorted by labels on the left side

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Idlis

Idli Batter

Batter in idli mold

Steaming for 10 min

Steamed ildis

Fluffy idlis ready to eat with chutney!


Ingredients:
1cup black gram dhal
1cup idli rava (preferably boiled rice rava. Use 2 cups if using electric stone grinder)

Method:
Soak in water in the morning for at least 6 hours. Wash and grind it either in the electric grinder  for  45 to 1 hours  time  adding water  as needed to a smooth paste. Add idli rava to this batter and mix it well.

Keep it overnight for fermentation in a warm place for 8 to 12 hours. In cold places, you can keep this in a slightly warmed oven (heat oven to 100 degrees, shut it off and then keep the batter  in the oven). 
 As a result of fermentation, the batter should increase to twice its original volume.                               
Add salt to taste and beat well just before steaming. To steam, you need an idli mold and, an idle cooker (or regular food steamer). Apply little oil on the idli molds and spoon batter into the mold. Steam it for 10 minutes. Serve hot with coconut chutney or sambar.


Variation:
You can also use idli rice instead of idli rava. Soak 1 cup of idli rice (for grinding in the mixer)
( for grinding in the grinder 2 cups of rice ) for  6 hours. Grind it into a coarse batter (consistency of rava) and add it to the urad batter. The rest is same as above.      

No comments:

Post a Comment