Geeta M. Baliga

I am Geeta Baliga born in Chennai and grew up in Calicut, Kerala.


I got married at the age of 21 to Mohan Baliga and moved to Hubli. I have 2 daughters and a son.


I was an entrepreneur and ran a very successful pre-school called Rose Bud in Hubli for 35 years. All my children are settled in North America. I have 5 grand children.We are now settled in the US to stay closer to our children.


Konkani cuisine is known for great fish curries and other seasonal delicacies like "Kadgi Chako" and "Keerla Sukhe".


We constantly had family visiting us for whom I helped cook barrels of curries, chakkulis and ubbatis, phenories, shevai, thile undo, halvas, etc. I had friends from various parts of India - Punjabi, Maharasthrian, Savji and Lingayat (Hubli locals) from whom I learnt to make other types of cuisines. Over time my reputation grew as a good cook in the family and circle of friends, particularly for seafood.


I update this blog as and when I prepare the dishes. If you find these recipes interesting please leave your comments in comment box below each recipe. and also add to my followers group . This will encourage me to continue with my efforts !


All the recipes are listed in alphabetical order on the right hand side and sorted by labels on the left side

Monday, March 28, 2011

Stuffed Brinjal

Stuffed Brinjals - Before cooking
 Ingredients and method:
6 medium size brinjals ( slit  in 4 parts  partially and keep in the water for a few minutes to remove the bitterness)
1/2 cup coconut gratings
1 tspoon chilli powder
1 tbspoon coriander seeds + 4 cloves roasted in 1 tab spoon heated oil 1/2  t spoon tamarind paste
Grind the above ingredients in to a paste add salt to taste .
Remove and keep aside.

Stuffed Brinjals - Cooked
1 1/2" ginger piece chopped
1 tspoon haldi
3 green chillies chopped
1 medium size onion chopped finely
1 tomato chopped
Mix chopped ginger +chopped onion +chopped green chillies  with masala .

Stuff  the masala in the slit brinals .
Heat 3 tab spoon oil in a pressure pan
 splutter1 t spoon  jeera, add chopped onion , saute for a while till it is soft , add chopped tomatoes and stir till it is mushy .Place the stuffed brinjals in layer above this . Add very little water and cook in the pressure pan or pressure cooker for a few minutes  before the first whistle . Do not over cook
Relish with chapaties . 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Pachhi,

    I am unable to view the pictures of this dish. Dunno whether it's only with me. Please check!

    Regards,
    Seema
    amchi-bong-konnexion.blogspot.com
    seemabbas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see the pictures fine from my computer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Aubergine is my fav vege anytime and this recipe sounds lovely ... but the pictures are quite small in size hindering a clear view of teh finished recipe .... I don't know wether it is just my computer ... :)
    Reva

    ReplyDelete
  4. all of us can see the pictures clearly on our comp !

    ReplyDelete