Geeta M. Baliga

I am Geeta Baliga born in Chennai and grew up in Calicut, Kerala.


I got married at the age of 21 to Mohan Baliga and moved to Hubli. I have 2 daughters and a son.


I was an entrepreneur and ran a very successful pre-school called Rose Bud in Hubli for 35 years. All my children are settled in North America. I have 5 grand children.We are now settled in the US to stay closer to our children.


Konkani cuisine is known for great fish curries and other seasonal delicacies like "Kadgi Chako" and "Keerla Sukhe".


We constantly had family visiting us for whom I helped cook barrels of curries, chakkulis and ubbatis, phenories, shevai, thile undo, halvas, etc. I had friends from various parts of India - Punjabi, Maharasthrian, Savji and Lingayat (Hubli locals) from whom I learnt to make other types of cuisines. Over time my reputation grew as a good cook in the family and circle of friends, particularly for seafood.


I update this blog as and when I prepare the dishes. If you find these recipes interesting please leave your comments in comment box below each recipe. and also add to my followers group . This will encourage me to continue with my efforts !


All the recipes are listed in alphabetical order on the right hand side and sorted by labels on the left side

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Raw Jack Fruit Curry | Konkani Kadge Chakho




Ingredients and Steps
2 cups cut  raw jack fruit cubes (as shown in the pic ). Pressure cook and keep aside .
Masala --
2 cups of coconut gratings
1 t spn chilli  powder (acording to spice tolerence )
1/2" tamarind piece
1 1/2 tb spoon corriander seeds roasted in 1 tb spoon oil
Grind all the above ingredients (not the jack fruit) together to smooth paste.

Heat 3 tb spoon oil in a pan splutter  1 t spoon  mustard seeds , curry leaves and add the masala paste
Add salt to taste .

Mash the cooked raw jack fruit cubes and add to the masala.
 Keep on the gas, add little water mix and stir well,  till becomes a sukka.

Relish with rice and dalitoi (Konkani Daal).


7 comments:

  1. ONe of my alltime favorites!! I call jackfruit "faux chicken" since it tastes so much like chicken...

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes it turns out nice with indian fresh raw jack fruit !but can make withe can jack fruit cubes .

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is my absolute favorite! Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. in place of corriander seeds u can try urad dal...n not smooth paste but little coarse ...my moms recipe...:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. yeah we prepare this that way too! geeta

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was looking for recipe for Kadage Chakko and I found the site. Its a great find.

    ReplyDelete