Geeta M. Baliga

I am Geeta Baliga born in Chennai and grew up in Calicut, Kerala.


I got married at the age of 21 to Mohan Baliga and moved to Hubli. I have 2 daughters and a son.


I was an entrepreneur and ran a very successful pre-school called Rose Bud in Hubli for 35 years. All my children are settled in North America. I have 5 grand children.We are now settled in the US to stay closer to our children.


Konkani cuisine is known for great fish curries and other seasonal delicacies like "Kadgi Chako" and "Keerla Sukhe".


We constantly had family visiting us for whom I helped cook barrels of curries, chakkulis and ubbatis, phenories, shevai, thile undo, halvas, etc. I had friends from various parts of India - Punjabi, Maharasthrian, Savji and Lingayat (Hubli locals) from whom I learnt to make other types of cuisines. Over time my reputation grew as a good cook in the family and circle of friends, particularly for seafood.


I update this blog as and when I prepare the dishes. If you find these recipes interesting please leave your comments in comment box below each recipe. and also add to my followers group . This will encourage me to continue with my efforts !


All the recipes are listed in alphabetical order on the right hand side and sorted by labels on the left side

Monday, December 3, 2012

Methi Leaves and Potato Sukke

Method
2 bunches of methi leaves -remove the leaves from the stems
Wash, chop and keep aside.
Skin 2  potatoes and cut in to 1/2"  cubes.
2 big cups of chopped onions
1/2 cup cooked thuvardhal

Heat 3 to 4 tbspn oil
 Splutter 1 tspn cumin seeds
Add chopped onion and fry till translucent
Add chopped potatoes and chopped methi leaves
Add little water to cook it
Add salt to taste
Add 1/2 cup of cooked thuvar dhal
For Masala:
1/2 cup grated coconut
1 to 2 tbspn roasted coriander seed
1/2 tspn tamarind paste
1/2 tspn chillipowder
Grind the above ingredients in to a paste
Add this paste to the cooked methi potato mixture
Stir frequently and keep on medium flame  for a while stirring frequently till it becomes dry .
Serve hot with rice and dhal or with roties .



1 comment:

  1. Nutritious dinner enjoyed by my family - one satisfied mom..

    ReplyDelete