Geeta M. Baliga

I am Geeta Baliga born in Chennai and grew up in Calicut, Kerala.


I got married at the age of 21 to Mohan Baliga and moved to Hubli. I have 2 daughters and a son.


I was an entrepreneur and ran a very successful pre-school called Rose Bud in Hubli for 35 years. All my children are settled in North America. I have 5 grand children.We are now settled in the US to stay closer to our children.


Konkani cuisine is known for great fish curries and other seasonal delicacies like "Kadgi Chako" and "Keerla Sukhe".


We constantly had family visiting us for whom I helped cook barrels of curries, chakkulis and ubbatis, phenories, shevai, thile undo, halvas, etc. I had friends from various parts of India - Punjabi, Maharasthrian, Savji and Lingayat (Hubli locals) from whom I learnt to make other types of cuisines. Over time my reputation grew as a good cook in the family and circle of friends, particularly for seafood.


I update this blog as and when I prepare the dishes. If you find these recipes interesting please leave your comments in comment box below each recipe. and also add to my followers group . This will encourage me to continue with my efforts !


All the recipes are listed in alphabetical order on the right hand side and sorted by labels on the left side

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Green Tomato Pickle


Method-
Green tomatoes 1 k.g
salt 150gms ( approx)
Gingely oil little more than 1/4 litre
Raw tamarind 1/4 k.g
Mustard powder 25 gms
 Methi powder 10 gms
Turmeric powder 1 tbspn

Cut tomatoes length wise thin strips
 Add salt , turmeric powder and  keep for a couple of days till it leaves water
  3rd day squeeze tomatoes fully and dry them in the hot sun every day (for 3 days)
Keep aside the squeezed salt water
 Soak the tamrind in this water for 1 day

Roast mustard powder methi powder little bit
 Add to this  chili  powder  and mix
 Grind the soaked tamarind into  pulp
 Add the mixed  powders  to this and  mix thoroughly
Add the sun dried tomatoe strips
Mix thoroughly
 seasoning -
Heat the gingely oil in a kadai
 add 2 tbspn mustard
when it splutters add 1 tbspn chana dhal +1 tspn methi seeds
 Add a few curry leaves + a few small green chillies and the garlic pods .
when the seasoning is cool add this  to the pickle mixture and toss thoroughly
 Fill this pickle in the jars and keep aside for a couple of days
 Keep the jars in the refrigerator .




1 comment:

  1. Great website, Congrats and keep it going! I look forward to more.
    Rgds
    Pavitra Manjeshwar(Mavinkurve)

    ReplyDelete