Geeta M. Baliga

I am Geeta Baliga born in Chennai and grew up in Calicut, Kerala.


I got married at the age of 21 to Mohan Baliga and moved to Hubli. I have 2 daughters and a son.


I was an entrepreneur and ran a very successful pre-school called Rose Bud in Hubli for 35 years. All my children are settled in North America. I have 5 grand children.We are now settled in the US to stay closer to our children.


Konkani cuisine is known for great fish curries and other seasonal delicacies like "Kadgi Chako" and "Keerla Sukhe".


We constantly had family visiting us for whom I helped cook barrels of curries, chakkulis and ubbatis, phenories, shevai, thile undo, halvas, etc. I had friends from various parts of India - Punjabi, Maharasthrian, Savji and Lingayat (Hubli locals) from whom I learnt to make other types of cuisines. Over time my reputation grew as a good cook in the family and circle of friends, particularly for seafood.


I update this blog as and when I prepare the dishes. If you find these recipes interesting please leave your comments in comment box below each recipe. and also add to my followers group . This will encourage me to continue with my efforts !


All the recipes are listed in alphabetical order on the right hand side and sorted by labels on the left side

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Val Val or Yogiratna-(Vegetables in coconut milk)

Method -
2 cups chopped pumpkin (skinned and cut into big cubes )
1 cup chopped  ash gourd ( skinned and cut into big cubes)
1/2 cup potatoes  cubes
1/2 cup tender cashew nuts ( Bibbo-soak in water for 3 hours and skin them) )OR cashew nuts ( soak in water for 3 hours)
1/2 cup chopped ridge gourd ( skin and chop into big pieces)
3  string beans ( alsando) cut in to 1 " strings



Cook all these vegetables adding little water
Add salt. They get cooked very soon. Do not overcook.

Add two cans of coconut milk OR 1 can of coconut milk according to gravy required )
Mix and simmer for a while
Gravy  should be slightly thicker consistency
Seasoning:
Heat 2 tbspn  coconut oil or canola oil
1 tspn mustard+ 1/2 tspn Cumin seeds
when it splutters add curry leaves  , 3 slit red chilies +1 tspn
asafoetida powder
Add this seasoning in to the curry
( If ready coconut milk is not available , take extract of ground grated coconut and add).
This is a Konkani festival dish. Very delicious! Can be eaten with rice or without rice (like a soup) 

No comments:

Post a Comment